Today is a day of beginnings…
- I just completed my first synchronous meeting with my professor and peers for the new course at Athabasca University’s (AU) Distance Education program.
- I began my journey at AU 10 years ago and after a long hiatus, I have decided to return to academia to complete what I started (inspired by a friend working on his MBA and by a mentor who has been bugging me to complete my studies!).
- I am wrapping my head around reading academic papers rather than business reports.
- Life-work balance now has a new partner; study-write.
- I feel both nervous and excited at the student evaluation requirements- peer presentations, ongoing discussions with complete strangers (can introverts become extroverts when hidden behind computer?), and a major research paper.
- I was disappointed that I would not have an opportunity to pursue an independent study as an elective course but I am now elated with the fact that this AU course is akin to one.
- I am terrified that there can be so many people (hundreds!) in the same MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) that is the basis for the AU course.